Friday, January 24, 2014

The Wonder Years

Two words: Volleyball scene.

My Coach post sparked a flood of reader e-mail.  One note had a fairly comprehensive list of 70's and 80's celebrity and television icons, like M*A*S*H, the gorgeous Bo Derek, and the much missed John Belushi.  Another reader told us that she recalls products- like Herbal Essence shampoo and Kissing Potion lip gloss.  Since I have had in the recent past, or will have in the reasonably near future (don't you love being vague on the internet?) a birthday, I shall take a moment and indulge in a little reminiscing.  Here are a few things that I remember.  How about you?




Tab.  It tasted pretty bad, but adding lemon helped.  Makes me grateful for Coke Zero.





Josten's class rings.  I wonder whatever happened to mine.  Do you still have yours?  Or, His?





How many times did you hear, "Don't sit so close to the TV, you'll ruin your eyes!"  If anyone grew up to become an Opthamologist, please let me know whether this was true.





Tube socks.





Bottle Caps.





Such a beautiful voice.




In Suntan, of course.





Libraries.  I liked the way the plastic covers on the books would crinkle expectantly when you opened them.  Still do.  I cover my cookbooks in clear protectors from Gaylord.com.  See them here.





We drank out of the hose and survived.





Captain Kirk was a total babe.  Plus he was smart, had a great sense of humor, saved planet Earth more times than I can count, and helped negotiate peace with the Klingons.  What more could you want in a man?  There is an excellent contemporary article on leadership (and successful living) at Forbes magazine, called "Five Leadership Lessons from James T. Kirk." Read it here.





He's dead, Jim!





Captain Kirk cupcakes.  Wouldn't you SO rather have these than a birthday cake?





Dr. Scholls.





Coppertone.




Film.





And Farrah.




Tickle, Lemon Up shampoo and Gee, Your Hair Smells Terrific! 





Boone's Farm, Chef Boyardee, Jiffy Pop, and of course Cheese Whiz in a can, (which was high gourmet at cocktail hour growing up prep).  What do you miss?  What do you remember?  

And to all of our dear readers who have celebrated a birthday in the recent past, or in the near future, we wish you Happy Birthday.  Save us some cake!



15 comments:

  1. Tab!
    We're obviously pretty close in age.
    Happy soon-to-be, or just past, birthday!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Great minds I guess, I was just on my way over to your blog! xo, N.G.

      Delete
  2. I commented but it didn't seem to request the security code so I'll send another one. My birthday is Monday and this post is like a trip down memory lane. What fun. The wine was a favorite back in the day, it went down a little too easy. I loved my Dr. Sholl sandles, weren't they supposed to be good for our feet. Who didn't wish for Farrah's hair?!
    Thanks for the great post. Hope you have a wonderful weekend.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Happy Birthday! Oh, yes, I participated in all of the major dos on the hair timeline- The Pixie, The Cher, The Dorothy Hamill, The Farrah, The Diana, The Meg, The Rachel. I have to remember to ask my hair guy, George, if he remembers Jose Eber. Remember him? Great stylist, cool cowboy hat! I think they sold a lot of Dr. Scholl's telling us they were exercise sandals. I suppose the point was that one had to grip like mad with one's toes to keep them on! Have a happy, happy Monday! xo, N.G.

      Delete
  3. When I initially left a comment I seem to have clicked the -Notify me when new comments are
    added- checkbox and now whenever a comment is added I recieve 4 emails with
    the same comment. There has to be a means you are able
    to remove me from that service? Thank you!

    Here is my web site: glowing skin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I don't have the ability from my end to do anything, that is all Blogger. However, it is possible that there is an "unsubscribe" at the bottom of the e-mail notification you are receiving. Check the fine print, if that doesn't work, let me know and I will try deleting your comment.

      Delete
  4. Did you know that you can order Lemon Up Shampoo and Gee, Your Hair Smells Terrific from The Vermont Country Store? I've sent for both! Marilyn in Mt. Vernon, VA

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh the Farrah, how well I remember the time spent with that round brush and curler, and I lived in my Dr Scholls even though I never thought they were very comfortable. I have to admit, I still miss "gee your hair smells terrific" shampoo!! Happy Birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. was just discussing dr scholl's with my sister and how if you stepped on the side of the wood OUCH!!!
    way too much boone's!
    do you remember 'sun-in'?
    great fun!
    debra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debra, I agree about the Scholl's. I was also thinking about those sandals with the suede platform wedges that were so easy to fall off of. I do remember Sun-In. Several of my friends tried it on their dark brunette hair and it made them orange. The things we do for beauty! xoxo, N.G.

      Delete
  7. Pot o' Gloss and blue eyeshadow. Halter tops and wide-leg jeans. Long hair parted down the middle and leather fringed jackets. Oh yes. Just saw American Hustle and it brought back so many memories especially of the music. My first album: Crosby, Stills and Nash and my first concert: Peter Frampton. Great post, Nina.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Thanks! Halter tops. Oh wow, I forgot about those. And Elephant pants. Lololol.... xoxo, N.G.

      Delete
  8. I just found you through the Enchanted Home. So glad I did! Your blog is fabulous, and yes, I remember/lived every one of those things in this post. Clearly we are about that same age. ;-) Looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just found you and love the blog! This post brought back so many memories. Remember Beer on Tap Shampoo? Or that Faberge wheat germ stuff? The ad said something like, "... it goes on and on and on and on..." and the screen double, tripled, quadrupled, etc. Polaroid instant cameras were huge. I was just watching some old Martha Stewart videos on You Tube and while they are not as old as Tab, it made me long for those days again. I used to long for men, now I long for my misspent youth.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh dear…does it reveal my age to say how much I thoroughly loved this post????

    ReplyDelete

Welcome, and thank you for stopping by! The best part of blogging is the dialogue between friends, so please share your thoughts, memories, stories and ideas with us. We love hearing from you.